Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Terabyte!

I was in my local Staples yesterday, looking for an external drive for backing up my hard drive. We were looking at the boxes of various external and internal drives and saw one that said 1TB. TB? My husband said "wow, a terabyte". I thought him very clever and imaginative to come up with a name for a thousand gigabytes, but when we got home, I looked it up and it turns out that he is correct. We are now in the age of the Terabyte. It sounds like something that comes from the moon. Of course we had to buy the 1 terabyte hard drive. It was just too intriguing not to. (and it worked out more cost efficient for the extra memory)

I backed up my Documents and used up only 52 Gigabytes of this hard drive, and I remembered when my brother-in-law bragged to us that he had just got a new computer with a 1 gigabyte hard drive. He said he'd be set for years. I'm sure it won't be long before we have programs that take more than terabytes can cope with.

What comes after a terabyte? A Petabyte! Here is a list I found that gives from the byte to the yottabyte! A Yottabyte?

What comes after the Byte ?
1024 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte

What comes after the kilobyte ?
1024 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte

What comes after the Megabyte ?
1024 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte

What comes after the Gigabytes ?
1024 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte

What comes after the Terabytes?
1024 Terabytes = 1 Petabyte

What comes after the Petabytes ?
1024 Petabytes = 1 Exabyte

What comes after the Exabyte ?
1024 Exabyte = 1 zettabyte

What comes after the zettabyte ?
1024 zettabyte = 1 Yottabyte

No comments: